Eatanddrink Forums
November 24, 2014, 07:26:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out how to contribute to Eatanddrink.co.uk

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tipping in Restaurants  (Read 24588 times)
phil
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:12 am »

What is the correct approach to leaving a tip or not in a restaurant? How much should one leave and under what circumstances? I don't get a tip at work just for doing my job.

I think what annoys me about this is when a service charge of, say 10%, is automatically added to the bill. I don't even know that this would go to the staff even if I felt that it was appropriate to leave a tip.
Lordy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:22:18 pm »

What is the correct approach to leaving a tip or not in a restaurant? How much should one leave and under what circumstances? I don't get a tip at work just for doing my job.

I think what annoys me about this is when a service charge of, say 10%, is automatically added to the bill. I don't even know that this would go to the staff even if I felt that it was appropriate to leave a tip.

Yes, if I leave a tip, I normally round up 2 or 3 quid if I feel it is deserved. Not sure what that equates to as a percentage, it varies really.

I agree that service charge added to a bill is annoying. I travel around a lot and notice it is more common in London than anywhere else. I actually choose not to go back to restaurants that do that to me. What totally annoys me is when it isn't mentioned on the menu but appears on the bill.
cbits

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:05:41 am »

Having worked in a Restaurant, I know that tipping is an important part of the staff earnings. In general this is a good thing and tips should always go directly to the staff. I understand people disliking a tip which is added to the bill, usually this is because larger groups still leave two or three quid (but overall not each) as Lordy says.

If the menu states that there is a "Tip" (cover or service charge) added, then you have two options if the service was adequate or better pay it (and only that amount) or deduct it if the service was poor or worse and point out why.

If a tip is clearly "sneaked in" (say, via a credit card machine) deduct it, there is no moral or legal obligation to pay something you are not advised of in advance.

It is always worth asking the staff if they actually receive the tip money in some way, and if they don't - don't tip!

I believe a tip is not just for the service element but also the food, frankly bad food served well. or divine food flung at you = an unpleasant experience = no tip at best and at worst a complaint.

If you have good service, leave a 10% tip, if exceptional then more, and comment to the staff, (frankly Lordy a"couple of quid" is not usually enough nowadays - how much do you get paid for your labour?)
Lordy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:33:28 pm »

Having worked in a Restaurant, I know that tipping is an important part of the staff earnings. In general this is a good thing and tips should always go directly to the staff. I understand people disliking a tip which is added to the bill, usually this is because larger groups still leave two or three quid (but overall not each) as Lordy says.

If the menu states that there is a "Tip" (cover or service charge) added, then you have two options if the service was adequate or better pay it (and only that amount) or deduct it if the service was poor or worse and point out why.

If a tip is clearly "sneaked in" (say, via a credit card machine) deduct it, there is no moral or legal obligation to pay something you are not advised of in advance.

It is always worth asking the staff if they actually receive the tip money in some way, and if they don't - don't tip!

I believe a tip is not just for the service element but also the food, frankly bad food served well. or divine food flung at you = an unpleasant experience = no tip at best and at worst a complaint.

If you have good service, leave a 10% tip, if exceptional then more, and comment to the staff, (frankly Lordy a"couple of quid" is not usually enough nowadays - how much do you get paid for your labour?)

I take your point about tips going to the staff, I think that's important.

Not so sure about a couple of quid not being enough though, after all, restaurant staff are paid a wage, which should be at least minimum wage. I'm sure that any tips are an important part of their income, as is any part of anybody's income, but as Phil say's it's not everybody that gets a tip for just doing their job.
bakers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:37:03 pm »

when you have credit card. you dont have to give tips. besides restaurants has service charge Tongue
Food Lover Onei

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:27:44 pm »

I think you should only tip if the service has been good. If it is poor why should you tip?

asep_dadang

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27:03 am »

my opinion, tip isn't good, because you'll be always hope for tip after providing a good service, and good service is a must even you got no tip from customer.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:28:36 am by asep_dadang » Logged

Get your free Virtual Private Network account
AndyR2000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 12:30:47 pm »

To Tip or not to Tip....personally, I think it's a B.S. way for business owners to pass the buck when it comes to staff wages.  Build the tip into the price of the meal so the customer doesn't have to deal with the issue or whether to tip or not.....it's not up to us to decide how much you staff are going to take home for the night....it's a crappy business practice.

However, I always tip when I eat out.  If I'm paying top quid for a meal and it meets my expectations, then why not.  It's not going to send me broke and I know first-hand what it's like to work in hospitality.

JenHopkines21

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 12:15:18 am »

They say 10% of your bill should be your tip. And I say that's too much
melanie14

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:05 am »

We generally say "tip before tax." But of course it's up to you! You can buy little cheat sheets in stationery stores that have 15% and 20% charts. In states where the tax is about 7% it's easy....just double the tax. So a bill of $10 with a tax of 7% , your tip would be $1.40 or 1.50..

"you are the one"
dhutchinson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:38:39 pm »

It all depends on the service I received. If it's satisfactory, I tip a really satisfactory amount but i the service is not good, then I leave a small tip or no tip at all.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:08:58 pm by phil » Logged
peterhodge877

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:49:31 pm »

We generally say "tip before tax." But naturally it's around you! You can aquire little cheat sheets in stationery retailers that have 15% as well as 20% charts. In states in which the taxation is about 7% it's easy....simply dual the taxation. So a bill of $10 through a income tax of 7% , your own tip might possibly be $1.40 or perhaps one.50..

zinniajones0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 05:21:58 pm »

I think you should just tip if the provider has been good. In case it is poor why if you tip?

Jhared

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 12:36:48 pm »

We could give a tip depending on the service you received.
upfront559

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:39 am »

I usually tip once i eat out there. If I am just paying top quid for a meal and yes it meets my personal expectations, then you will want to. It's not gonna send me personally broke and I realize first-hand precisely what it's want to work throughout hospitality.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: